Your Investment Portfolio
Once we determine an appropriate asset allocation for you, MAI implements your investment strategy using a combination of proprietary and external investment offerings.
We believe that when evaluating external money managers, passive investment vehicles or asset allocation opportunities, it helps to be in the financial markets managing money ourselves. Therefore we directly manage securities where we see an opportunity to add value through our perspective, expertise in the area and focus on our client needs.
- Seek total return with significant and growing contribution from dividends
- Emphasis on stocks that demonstrate long- term growth potential based on fundamental factors
- Equities evaluated on criteria such as valuation, profitability, earnings growth, and balance sheet strength
- Resulting portfolio is typically comprised of 30-40 mega and large capitalization companies that have and are expected to grow their dividend
Core Equity Strategy
- Seek total return with primary contribution from capital appreciation
- Focus on companies that have a significant and durable competitive advantage, high return on invested capital, above average sales growth, strong balance sheets, and shareholder-oriented management
- Resulting portfolio is typically composed of 30-40 mega, large and mid-cap companies that have the best combination of these characteristics but are also reasonably priced
Fixed income portfolios are customized to meet your unique requirements specific to tax status and state of residence, target duration, credit quality, and cash flow needs. Our approach features:
- Disciplined individual security selection and portfolio construction
- Ability to access strong credit issues that are too small to “move the needle” for mega investment firms, insurance companies and pension funds
- Ability to capitalize on market inefficiencies to maximize the total return potential, rather than taking on elevated levels of credit or interest rate risk
- Flexibility to employ various fixed income instruments including, but not limited to, municipal, government, corporate and preferred securities
Alternatives & Specialized Investments
Energy Infrastructure & MLP Strategy
- A specialized equity strategy that seeks total return through growth and regular distributions of earnings
- Emphasis on midstream MLPs acting as toll takers with long-term, volume based contracts and counterparties that are typically investment grade credits. Given the rapid evolution in the U.S. energy landscape, MAI employs an active approach to management with greater structure and market cap flexibility than major MLP indexes
- Resulting portfolio is typically composed of 10-15 names from the midstream universe of MLPs, GPs, and C-Corps that trade daily on U.S. exchanges
Additional information on strategies & risks can be found in MAI's ADV2A.